To go or not to go with the rankings

When I first began this journey, I thought the post-admit decision-making process would be incredibly easy. It seemed so simple to just go to the highest-ranked school to which you were admitted. Now remember, this was also before I really understood the mysterious concept of "fit."

So anyway, now that I'm on the other side, it finally makes sense why someone admitted to both Yale and Wharton, for example, would question which school to attend. The obvious rankings answer is Wharton. But the personalities and opportunities at the programs are quite different. Yale is a place where everybody knows your name. At Wharton, there's the risk of getting lost in the crowd.

I've seen a surprising number of people get into the position of wanting to choose a school that is perhaps not ranked as highly as another, but they feel compelled to still stick with the rankings. I'm by no means an expert, but I think that the most important thing is to go to the place where you'll be happiest. The school listed on your resume is just the first step to getting your ideal internship/full-time offer. After that, it's all on you.

Comments

Post a Comment